Install the "new" Signal Desktop on your computer
- Confirm you can install the Signal Desktop standalone version on your computer.
- Continue with exporting then importing as listed in the steps below.
Steps for exporting from the "old" Signal Desktop
- Update to Signal Chrome App version 0.44.14 or later.
- Select the Menu and choose Migrate to standalone.
- Select Migrate.
- Select 'Install is complete' to confirm you have installed the new Signal Desktop.
- Select 'Choose directory' to find a where on your computer to place your export. Remember the folder you selected as this will be used in Step 3 for importing below.
Steps for importing into the "new" Signal Desktop
- Open your newly installed Signal standalone app.
- Choose to set up a Chrome App export.
- Select Choose directory and locate your Chrome App export.
- Send a message from your new Signal standalone app to confirm it is working.
Steps for uninstalling the "old" Signal Desktop
- Go to chrome://extensions/.
- Find Signal Private Messenger.
- Click on the trashcan on the right.
- Select Remove.
- Locate the Chrome App export and delete the folder.