Signal uses your existing phone number to register. A phone number can only be registered to Signal on one mobile phone at a time. You can register with any phone number you have full ownership of. Be mindful that anyone else who has access to this number can register the number with Signal. If you can receive the SMS on your phone or can receive a phone call to this number, then you will be able to register it with Signal. You can register with a
- Mobile phone number
- Google Voice number*
- VoIP number*
- Landline number*
*Note: All Signal messages and calls that you send or receive will show this registered number to your contact. Insecure communication that you send will reveal your mobile SIM card number to your contacts. If you enable Google Voice SMS forwarding, then any insecure SMS/MMS you initiate will reveal your SIM card number and any insecure SMS/MMS you respond to will show your Google Voice number.
To register a number on Signal Android
- Install and open Signal.
- Check or edit the phone number.
- Tap Register.
- You will receive the SMS verification or you can request a call for the verification number after the two minute timeout.
- If the verification code is sent to your mobile number, then Signal will automatically pick up the 6-digit verification code. You do not need to do any further action and you can start messaging and calling.
- If you do not receive the SMS code, make sure you do not have limitations on your internet. Some VPNs or third party apps can interfere with Signal's connection to the internet.
- If the SMS verification fails the verification code can be delivered to you by a phone call. Be ready to write down or remember the 6-digit verification code.
- Tap Call Me to request the call.
- You will receive a call with the verification number. If you are using a Google Voice number, check your voicemail transcript for the verification code.
- Manually enter this verification number in Signal.
- When the registration completes you can start messaging and calling.