Signal uses your existing phone number to register. A phone number can only be registered to Signal on one mobile phone at a time. You can register with any phone number you have full ownership of. Be mindful that anyone else who has access to this number can register the number with Signal. If you can receive the SMS on your phone or can receive a phone call to this number, then you will be able to register it with Signal. You can register with a
- Mobile phone number
- Google Voice number
- VoIP number
- Landline number
All Signal messaging and calling that you send or receive will display the number you registered Signal iOS with.
To register a number on Signal iOS
- Install and open Signal.
- Enter your phone number.
- Tap Activate This Device.
- You will receive the SMS verification or you can request a call for the verification number.
- If the verification code is sent to your iPhone, then you can open the text message and tap sgnl://verify/###-### and it will automatically fill in the 6-digit verification code. You can also choose to manually enter the 6-digit verification code and tap Submit Verification Code. If you filter messages from unknown senders, check your messages app for the Unknown Senders inbox.
- If you are unable to receive the SMS, then proceed to Call Verification.
- If the SMS verification does not arrive the verification code can be delivered to you by a phone call. Be ready to write down or remember the 6-digit verification code.
- Tap Call Me Instead to request the call.
- You will receive a call with the verification number. If you are using a Google Voice number, check your voicemail transcript for the verification code.
- Manually enter this verification number in Signal.
- Tap Submit Verification Code.
- When the registration completes you will be brought to an empty inbox view from where you can start messaging and calling.