Like everything else in Signal, your profile is end-to-end encrypted. The Signal service does not have any knowledge of the name you have chosen or the image you have set.
What is my Signal Profile?
Your Signal Profile is a name, picture, and about that will be shown alongside your existing phone number when communicating with other users.
How do I edit my profile?
- Open Signal on your phone > go to Signal Settings .
- Tap your avatar, name, or Signal number.
- Tap the avatar or image to edit.
- Tap the name fields to edit. First names are required. Feel free to choose a nickname, a single character, or an emoji.
- Tap About to select an emoji and to write a few words about yourself.
- For Android, go to step 6 below.
- For iOS, select Done to go back to your profile screen and preview the About.
- Tap Save.
What do other people see?
Your Signal profile will be shown alongside your existing phone number when communicating with other users.
How can I change how I see someone’s name or photo?
If you do not want to see someone's Signal profile photo or name, follow the steps below.
- Save this person to your phone’s system contact list and save a name or photo that you want to remember them by.
- Then go to Signal Settings > Chats > enable Use address book photos (Android) or Use System Contact Photos (iOS).
Read more technical information in the blog post.