What is a safety number?
Each Signal conversation has a unique safety number that allows you to verify the security of your messages and calls with specific contacts.
Verification of safety numbers is a good security practice for sensitive communication. If a safety number has been marked as verified, any change must be manually approved before sending a new message.
Why do I see a safety number change alert?
Signal advises you whenever a safety number has changed. This allows users to check the privacy of their communication with a contact and helps protect against any attempted man-in-the-middle attacks.
The most common scenarios where a safety number advisory is displayed are when a contact switches to a new phone or re-installs Signal. However, if a safety number changes frequently or unexpectedly it may be a sign that something is wrong.
- Open a conversation thread with a contact.
- Tap on the conversation header or navigate to the conversation settings.
- Select view safety number.
How do I verify the safety number with my contact?
The easiest way to compare safety numbers is to scan your contact's QR code while viewing their safety number. You can also visually or audibly compare the numeric code, or use the share icon to copy it to your clipboard. If the safety number is identical then you can be sure that you are communicating with the right person.
How do I manage the verified status of the safety number?
View the safety number and select the toggle or button to change the verified status.
- On Android, select the Verified toggle. When a contact is verified, the slider background turns blue and the switch is on the right.
- On iOS, select the Mark as Verified or Clear Verification button.
- On Desktop, select the Mark as verified or Mark as not verified button.
How do I know if a safety number has been marked as verified?
A checkmark will appear in the conversation header by your contact's name when the safety number is marked as verified. It will remain verified unless the safety number changes or you manually change the verification status.