Your Signal call screen will show
|Calling or Connecting
While waiting for the call to connect
When your contact's phone is online and ringing
After your call has been answered
Why does my call screen only show Calling or Connecting?
- You and your contact both have to be connected to the internet for your call to start ringing. It is likely that your contact is not connected at the time you placed the call or they have blocked you. To check:
- Confirm that messages you send are delivered to your contact.
- Confirm that you can can receive messages from this contact.
- The date and time settings are not set correctly for either phone's timezone.
Why does the call screen show No Answer and quickly hang up?
Your device is not connected to the internet. Check your WiFi or mobile data connection.
What should I do if I cannot hear my contact?
- Update to the latest version of Signal.
- Confirm microphone permissions are enabled.
- Check if your firewall or a third-party app is limiting or blocking Signal's access to the internet.
- Raise the volume level on your phone.
Why did I see a missed call?
- Your device may have been offline when you received the call.
- Turn off Do Not disturb mode.
- On iOS, disable Low Power Mode: iPhone Settings > Battery > Disable Low Power Mode.
- Confirm both you and your contact are using the most up-to-date version of Signal.
- Check that the date and time settings for your phone are set correctly for your timezone.
- Check if you or your contact have a firewall or a third-party app that is limiting or blocking Signal's access to the internet.
- Confirm that you and your contact have the full list of permissions enabled.
- Switch to a different internet connection. For example, switch from mobile data to WiFi.
- On Android, enable Signal Settings > SMS and MMS > 'WiFi Calling' compatibility mode and try again.
- On iOS when the screen is locked, video calls display a notification not a ringtone. Display notifications for your lock screen from iPhone Settings > Signal > Notifications > under the Alerts section select Lock Screen.
How do I see my contact on a video call? Where is my contact's video?
You are in full control of who can see you. Your contact has the same choice.
- To show your video, tap the video icon to enable video from your side only. You may need to confirm the full list of permissions are enabled for your device.
- To see your contacts video, they will need to tap the video icon on their side. They may need to confirm the full list of permissions are enabled for their device.
Why is my contact's video rotated and not taking up the full screen?
- Ask them to check if they have the orientation locked for their phone.
How do I enable the Desktop permissions for calling?
Grant in app permissions.
On Signal Desktop, tap your profile > Preferences and allow access to the microphone and camera.
Grant OS permissions:
macOS: Choose the Apple menu > System Preferences > click Security & Privacy > select Privacy > Select Camera > Select the checkbox next to Signal. Signal will need to restart for this setting to apply.