Signal is designed to never collect or store any sensitive information. Signal messages and calls cannot be accessed by us or other third parties because they are always end-to-end encrypted, private, and secure.
Here's how to determine if your communication is private:
Did you mean to view:
When you are securely communicating with another Signal user, you will see the following indicators:
- The text input field will show Signal message.
- The send icon will be blue with a closed lock after you type a message.
- Signal voice and video calls have a distinct look and display Signal on the screen.
What does it look like to have insecure communication?
- Signal previously supported insecure SMS/MMS but will be removing this option. Read more here.
- Every insecure SMS/MMS message will have an unlock icon in the message bubble.
- Signal-to-Signal communication does not display any extra indicators.
Signal (private) messaging
All Signal communication on Signal iOS is private. There's nothing extra you need to do or look for.
All Signal messaging on Signal Desktop is private. There's nothing extra you need to do or look for.