A message, sticker, reaction, read receipt, or media couldn't be delivered. Your contact may have tried sending it to you directly or in a group.
Signal uses end-to-end encryption so that we never have access to the contents of the messages you send; as result when a message could not be delivered it isn't clear if it was sent to you directly or from a shared group with that person.
This delivery issue doesn't affect your chat's security but you may have missed a message from this contact and you can ask them to resend it. When they resend it, it would have the original timestamp so the messages may look out of order.
We want our messaging and calling features to work seamlessly at all times. If you are willing to provide information that will help us prevent this from happening again, please contact us.
- On your phone, go to Signal Settings > Help > Contact us visit the contact us form.
- Write the text of the error.
- Select Something's Not working or Chat Refreshed.
- Make sure to include the debug log.
- Send the email to us or submit the form.
If you continually see Chat session refreshed or A message from [contact] could not be delivered, please contact us with debug logs from your devices and the contact that you are seeing the issue with. To troubleshoot, some users can
- unlink all Signal Desktop and iPad instances using steps for the mobile device only,
- quit and close Signal Desktop or swipe to close Signal on the iPad, and
- open and re-link Signal Desktop or iPad.
- uninstall Signal Desktop on an old computer. Note: Backups and message transfer not supported for Signal Desktop.