Your Signal call screen will show
- Dialing or Connecting - while waiting for the call to connect with your contact.
- Ringing - when your contact's phone is online and ringing.
- Connected or a call timer - after your call has been answered.
Why does my call screen only show Dialing or Connecting?
- Confirm that you can send and receive messages with this contact.
- You and your contact both have to be connected to the internet for your call to start ringing. It is likely that your contact is not connected at the time you placed the call.
What should I do if I cannot hear my contact?
If you can't hear your contact or your contact cannot hear you, make sure microphone permissions are enabled and your firewall or a third-party app is not limiting or blocking Signal's access to the internet.
Why did I see a missed call alert?
- Your device may have been offline when you received the call.
- Your device was placed in Do not disturb mode.
- You and your contact may not be using the most up-to-date version of Signal.
- Check that the date and time settings for your phone are set correctly for your timezone.
- Confirm that you or your contact do not have a firewall or apps limiting Signal's connection to the internet.
- Confirm that you and your contact have the full list of permissions enabled for Android and iOS.
- Check if it connects when you switch to a different internet connection. For example, switch from mobile data to WiFi. If there is a difference on Android, enable Signal Settings > SMS and MMS > 'WiFi Calling' compatibility mode and try again.