Here's what each message status indicates:
My message is stuck as Sending or spinning, what do I do?
Signal uses your phone's internet connection for all private communication. The most common reason why you can't send messages is that you are not connected to the internet or have restricted Signal's internet access.
- Confirm you are connected to the internet.
- Re-enable permissions and settings on your phone.
- Disable or modify settings for your third-party app, VPN, or firewall that is limiting Signal's connection to the internet.
- Scroll up through the conversation to see if there is a large attachment that is trying to send and delete the message.
- For insecure SMS/MMS, follow steps below.
See additional steps for:
How do I communicate privately?
Signal uses your phone's internet connection for all private communication.
- Check permissions and settings as listed in the steps above.
- Confirm your contact is also using Signal.
- Check how your contact's phone number is formatted in your Android phone. Make sure the phone number includes a country code and/or area code. See the steps on the support page for editing your contact's number.
My Signal contact is offline, how do I send SMS?
You can tap and hold or long-press the send icon to switch to insecure SMS which is grey with an open lock.
My insecure SMS/MMS is not sent, what do I do?
Text messages sent from your mobile SMS/MMS plan are insecure and need your phone to be connected to your mobile network. These messages incur costs as set by your mobile plan.
- Confirm you have SMS (text) or MMS (group and media) as part of your mobile plan.
- Check the credits on your mobile plan to send SMS/MMS. Add credits if your balance is empty.
- Confirm that you are connected to your mobile network.
- Enable Signal Settings > SMS and MMS > 'WiFi Calling' compatibility mode and try again.
- Confirm all the application permissions are enabled for Signal.
- Follow additional steps for troubleshooting MMS.
How do I send SMS/MMS with my Dual SIM phone?
Check that both SIMs and both SIM slots are enabled and actively working. Read additional information for a dual SIM phone.