Signal PINs are needed to support new features and they serve as an optional registration lock.
- This requirement has been added to support future functionality while still protecting user privacy.
- You will be asked to enter this PIN the next time you register your phone number with Signal.
- Your profile, settings, and contacts will restore when you reinstall Signal.
- If you forget your PIN and have enabled a registration lock, you may be locked out of your account for up to 7 days.
Continue below for FAQs, including:
Did you mean to view:
Why do I see two PINs?
Signal PINs are different from the SMS verification code that is used during the registration process and they are also unrelated to the device passcode that you may be asked to enter if screen lock is enabled.
How do I manage or change my PIN?
Signal Settings > Privacy > Signal PIN
Can I use my fingerprint, face, or phone's screen lock instead?
Your Signal PIN is unrelated to the device passcode. Your device password manager can store your PIN which you can copy and paste into Signal.
How do I manage or change the Registration Lock option?
- Enabling a Registration Lock will require the Signal PIN to register your phone number with Signal again.
- Go to Signal Settings > Privacy > Signal PIN > Registration Lock to enable or disable. This can only be modified on your phone.
- If you forgot your PIN, you may be locked out of your account for up to 7 days. We cannot reset the PIN for you.
How long can my PIN be?
There is no limit. Feel free to add as many characters as you want.
How does Signal help me remember my PIN?
Signal includes a built-in reminder feature that uses spaced repetition. To help you memorize your PIN, Signal will periodically ask you to confirm it. These reminders occur at the following intervals after the feature is first enabled:
- 12 Hours
- 1 Day
- 3 Days
- 7 Days
- 14 Days
Can I turn off these reminders?
- It is important to memorize your PIN. We cannot recover your PIN if you forget it.
- You will see the reminders less frequently if you consistently enter your PIN correctly. The reminders will become more frequent if multiple attempts are necessary.
- You can disable reminders after you've created a PIN.
- To disable, go to Signal Settings > Privacy > SIGNAL PIN > PIN reminders > Enter your PIN > Turn Off or Turn Off Reminders.
What if I do not see the option to turn off PIN reminders?
- If you have a Registration Lock enabled and do not have access to your old phone, you will need to wait for the PIN to expire.
- If you do not have a Registration Lock and do not have access to your old phone, you can still get started with Signal. Tap Skip in the top corner.
When does the Registration Lock expire?
- Registration Lock expires after 7 days of inactivity. If you don't have access to the previously registered device and cannot remember your PIN, you will be able to register for Signal again after waiting for this expiration period to pass.
- Messaging on any linked devices will reset your inactivity timer.
How does Signal help ensure that PINs don't expire for less active users?
The expiration timeout counter is reset whenever a client connects to the Signal service. In addition to activities like sending or receiving a message, the Android and iOS apps will make occasional requests to the server so that the PIN is kept alive.
What if I only see a numeric keyboard for my alphanumeric PIN during registration?
- Update to the latest version of Signal.
- Tap Enter Alphanumeric PIN then enter your pin.
- Some iOS users can copy and paste their PIN and it will be accepted. You can update or create a new PIN after you register.
What can I do if I don’t see an option to create an alphanumeric PIN?
What if I do not see a PIN screen when I register for Signal?
Signal PIN requirements are rolling out to existing users. This feature may not have been set up before you registered and is now available for you.
- Update to the latest version of Signal
- Interact with with the on-screen prompt or go to Signal Settings > Privacy > PIN > Create a PIN or Change your PIN.