Change Number is supported if you:
- can send and receive Signal messages on the phone with your old number.
- are keeping the same phone and changing the number.
Change Number is not supported if you:
- can not send and receive Signal messages on the phone with your old number.
- do not have your old device or lost your phone.
- cleared your phone.
You must be using the latest version of Signal available for that device:
- Android v5.30.6 or later
- iOS v5.27.1 or later
- All linked devices are updated to iOS v5.27.1 or later and Desktop v5.30.0 or later
Not seeing the feature?
- Confirm you can send and receive Signal messages on the phone with your old number.
- Check that all of linked devices (iPads and Desktops) meet the requirements listed.
- Swipe to close Signal on your phone or restart your phone. Then open Signal again. It should appear after two hours.
Steps to change number on the same phone
- In Signal, tap your profile > Settings (iOS only) > Account > Change Phone Number.
- You will not be able to undo this. Select Continue.
- Enter your old number in the first field and your new number in the second field.
- Select Continue or Done.
- Confirm the new number is correct.
- Wrong Number? Tap Edit Number to change.
- Select Change Number.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the registration process for the new number.
What do my contacts see?
- Your saved contacts that you never chatted with will not see the alert of the phone number change. See also: Does Signal send my number to my contacts?
- Your contacts that you have chatted with before may see an alert in your chat that the phone number has changed.
What if I do not have access the old number?
- Delete your account to wipe your message history.
- Register with your new number.
- Just as you would do this for your non-Signal contacts who only send you SMS, tell your Signal contacts about your new number and ask them to remove the old number.
- Messages and calls to your old number will go undelivered.
What if someone registers with my old number?
If someone registers with your old number on their phone, then they will have an empty message history. Your contacts will also be made aware of a safety number change if they continue messaging with the old number.