Signal is a nonprofit with no advertisers or investors, sustained only by the people who use and value it.
- How to contribute
- What is a Sustainer?
- What is Signal Boost?
- Why contribute?
- Can I be a Sustainer and give a Signal Boost?
- Can I customize the recurring monthly contribution as a Sustainer?
- How often will I be charged?
- How do I cancel?
- How do I get a refund?
- What happens if I reinstall?
- What happens if I change my subscription level?
- Is my payment information linked to my Signal account?
- Do Apple or Google get a cut of my contribution?
- Set up Apple Pay or Google Pay for your phone.
- On your phone, go to Signal Settings > Become a Signal Sustainer or Signal Boost.
Sustainers are Signal users who give a recurring monthly contribution. They receive a profile badge that reflects the Sustainer level. The Sustainer level badge will remain for 15 days after the subscription date ends.
Each Signal Boost is a one time contribution. Contributors receive a profile badge. You can make as many Boost contributions as you'd like. The Signal Boost badge will remain for 30 days.
Signal is committed to developing open source privacy technology that protects free expression and enables secure global communication. Your contribution fuels this cause and pays for the development and operations of an app used by millions for private communication. No ads. No trackers. No kidding.
Yes. These are separate charges and offer separate badges.
Not at this time. Consider entering a custom amount for Signal Boost. Go to Signal Settings > Signal Boost to enter a custom amount for a one time contribution.
- Sustainers will automatically renew monthly. The next date of renewal is displayed in Signal Settings > Subscription.
- Signal Boost is a one time contribution. Each contribution is charged separately.
- Sustainers can cancel at anytime from within Signal on the primary phone, not a linked device.
- On the phone, go to Signal Settings > Subscription > Manage Subscription > Cancel Subscription > Confirm.
- The badge will be removed 15 days after the subscription period ends.
- If Signal is uninstalled on the phone, the subscription will automatically cancel within 60 days from the uninstall date. If you reinstall and recover your account with your Signal PIN, your Signal Sustainer subscription is still active.
Refunds are not supported at this time. Signal servers do not see your payment information. It is handled by Stripe.
- If you reinstall and complete a transfer, all information will be transferred to your new device. There is nothing further that needs to be one.
- If you reinstall and recover your account with your Signal PIN, your Signal Sustainer subscription is still active.
- If you reinstall Signal and do not use a Signal PIN, you will need to cancel your Signal Sustainer subscription and the badge will remain for a few days.
What happens if I change my subscription level?
Your new subscription level will display on your Signal profile. The older level will remain on your account for a period of time until that subscription renewal date.
No. Your payment information is not associated with your Signal account. Using the anonymous credential scheme that we introduced for Signal private groups, clients make payments and then associate a badge to their profile such that the server can authenticate the client is in the set of people who made a payment, but doesn’t know specifically which payment it corresponds to.
- How can I show or hide badges?
- Why don't I see my badge?
- Where can I get badges?
- How can I change the badge featured on my profile?
- Can I get a badge if I donate cryptocurrency, through a bank transfer, or without Google or Apple Pay?
- Displaying badges is optional for your profile.
- Go to Signal Settings > Your profile > Badges > enable or disable the option to Display badges on profile.
- What your own profile looks like in the app is what other users see.
The Display badges on profile option is disabled. To enable, go to Signal Settings > Your profile > Badges.
Your payment did not process. If you believe this happened in error, please contact us. Go to Signal Settings > Help > Contact Us.
- Your badge expired. Give a Boost or become a Sustainer to get different badges.
- Become a Signal Sustainer or give a Signal Boost to get a badge. Click here to see how to contribute.
- Go to Signal Settings > Your profile > Badges >
- Enable Display badges on profile.
- Select Featured Badge > select a badge if multiple are available > Save or Back arrow, Set, Save.
- Change your subscription level or give a Boost to get different badges.
- Only Apple Pay or Google Pay contributions may receive a badge.
- All other payments types do not receive a badge.
- Cryptocurrency and other donation options are supported here: https://signal.org/donate/.